Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Now for a little light prose..........

Then and Now
The atomic clock announces the start of my day in her usual neutral tone. Rolling out of bed, I curse her reliability. My touch-pad is blinking red - the ex reminding me that I have to pick up my son early, this weekend. Shower, shave, breakfast, then I rush to catch the bullet train. It takes me from Central Jersey to DC in fifteen minutes. Time enough to send three holo-mails.
The morning is filled with more of the same. Lunch is number C60 (chicken salad) from the automated food dispenser. After that, it’s Virtual-Court. Lawsuit against my client for erecting a statue of a twentieth century musician who wrote about blowing winds which could answer vexing questions on life. The statue, made of a mixture of Buckminsterfullerenes and graphite, allegedly casts an overly large shadow over the neighbor’s hydrangeas. Judge looks perplexed and asks “Who?” I shrug, equally mystified. Arguments take forever. Decision will be rendered tomorrow at 8:30. I disconnect. Time to pack up, catch the 5:30.
I make it with seconds to spare. Soon, I’ll be home eating dinner – unplugged for half an hour. Got to send a couple more holo-mails, stay on top of my case load, then program the vacuum-bot and reset my clock to wake me earlier tomorrow. I wonder what it was like in the twentieth century. Must have been tough.

No comments: